Today I’m going to show you a video and the recipe for pistachio baklava to prepare at home! Baklava is an Arab dessert made with a paste of crushed pistachios or walnuts, distributed in phyllo dough and bathed in syrup or honey syrup. There are various variations that incorporate hazelnuts and almonds, among other nuts, and kaymak, originating from Middle Eastern cuisine.
This exquisite and exotic dessert, characteristic of the Middle East, is prepared with phyllo dough and your imagination! Learn how to prepare the best and most delicious Arab dessert, baklava!
Recipe of baklava with pistachios
- 2 sticks of melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups of walnuts
- 1 cup of blanched almonds
- 3/4 cup of sliced pistachios
- Zest of 1 orange
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 12 sheets of phyllo dough
- Crushed pistachios for decoration
- Melt the butter, letting it lightly brown, as this will add an extra level of nutty flavor to your baklava.
- Place the walnuts and almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and add the pistachios, orange zest, salt, cinnamon, and a quarter of the melted butter. Mix well.
- Butter a baking tray thoroughly. Lay the phyllo dough on a clear work surface near the baking tray.
- Line the baking tray with a sheet of phyllo and brush with melted butter.
- Continue in this way with five more phyllo sheets, buttering each layer well. Place the nut mixture on top (do not press down), then cover with the rest of the phyllo sheets, generously brushing as you layer them.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the layers into parallel lines to create diamond shapes. Bake for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, add sugar, honey, water, lemon juice, and cloves. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then simmer for about 10 minutes, until syrupy.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- When the baklava is golden, remove it from the oven. Once it has reached room temperature, pour the syrup over the top of the baklava and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Decorate the baklava with crushed pistachios. Remove and let it cool completely, by which time it should have absorbed all the syrup.
Ingredients for the syrup
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2/3 cup of water
- Juice of 1 lemon
More Recipes at…